Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

An ABC Assignment

I  recently joined voiceBoks, an online parenting/blogging community type thing. I'm still learning to navigate the site. One thing they do is create these fun little groups that they give an "assignment" to accomplish, just for fun if you want to do it. So they gave this assignment - the ABCs of You. Make of list of things about yourself using the letters of the alphabet.

As I was working on my list, I thought what a great activity this would make for you homeschoolers out there. There are several educational benefits:
  • Student will learn more about themselves.
  • They might gain a larger vocabulary - finding that elusive /x/ word to describe themselves!
  • Learn to spell new words.
  • Gain keyboard skills - if you have them type it up.
  • Practice writing skills.
  • Younger students could draw pictures, or dictate to you.
If you've done something like this with your students already, fantastic! Care to share your experience? I'd love to hear how it went.

If not, give it a try. Who knows, you might even learn something new about your child! Here's the task:
  1. Read the sample from my post, An Alphabet of Me, below, to get an idea of how to do the project. You can read the rest at my other blog, if you want.
  2. Create your own ABCs list about you!
  3. Publish the list in some manner: Maybe just a list like mine; or make a 26-page picture book; or write it as song lyrics (How many A is for... songs have you heard?) Get creative!
  4. Share, if you'd like. Share with me, or send to the grandparents. (Wouldn't they just love getting a list like that in the mail!)
Here's part of my list:
Asparagus: We have an asparagus plant growing (from seed)  in the gravel parking area in front of our house. Just picked our first stalk this week. I'm inspired to have a row of asparagus in my garden when we move and actually have a big garden plot.

Bleeding Hearts: One of my most favorite spring flowers, those and Lilacs.

"Californ-eye, here I come. Right back where I started from." I have to sing this part of the song (Which song? Don't know. That's all I know of it.) loud and strong whenever I head to California. That is, after all, where I 'started from.'

Dr Pepper: Ever since I was a little girl and saw the ads, I've wanted to Be a Pepper!

Educator: My college degree is in Elementary Education. Never really taught in my own classroom, but I very much enjoy being a teacher's aide. I love homeschooling, and I want to start creating thematic units for homeschoolers.

Funny: Well, I think I am. I crack myself up all the time. My husband may tell you different.
Read the rest.

I'd love to hear the results of your ABC lists! Comment below, or post a link. Do you have pictures of the project? I'm looking forward to see the creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment