Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pizza Hut BOOK-IT for Homeschoolers

I recently set up a little personal read-a-thon for my older son to participate in. He wanted to earn money for some special toys. Rather than pay for him doing normal household chores that he should be doing anyway, I came up with an extra-curricular activity that would also inspire him to start reading more on his own.

In searching around for a good way to run a 'read-a-thon,' I came across Pizza Hut's Book-It program that many schools participate in. Have you heard of the Book-It program? I think it was around even when I was in grade school. It's a great program that inspires kids to read by giving them a certificate for a free personal pan pizza at Pizza Hut.

After browsing their website for a bit, I discovered something that intrigued me greatly.

HOMESCHOOLERS CAN PARTICIPATE!

And you don't have to be part of a co-op to join!

I can't say how excited I am about this! Many times, homeschooling families aren't allowed to participate in programs like this unless they belong to a homeschool co-op, if then even. There have been many activities - like fundraisers - that just don't welcome the individual family to join in.

So! You can well imagine that I'll be signing up my kids for the Pizza Hut Book-It program for next year. You can do it, too!

Here's what to do:

Visit http://www.bookitprogram.com/Enrollment/homeschool.asp on (or after) May 1 to enroll your children who wish to particpate. It's that simple They will mail a packet to you with everything you'll need to get your kids excited about reading (think FREE PIZZA!).

Any questions? I don't know the answer to everything about this program, but you can

  • browse through their website (http://www.bookitprogram.com/default.asp)
  • check out the FAQs
  • do some digging around
  • check out the Parent's Page for some book and recipe ideas
  • and the Teacher's Page for some printables

No comments:

Post a Comment